Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Palestinian women at the forefront of the demonstrations/ Les femmes palestiniennes en force dans les manifestations de Nabi Saleh, 08.07.2011

(c) Anne Paq/, Nabi Saleh, 08.07.2011

Palestinian women at the forefront of the demonstrations in Nabi Saleh.

For weeks, if not months, I wanted to go back to the Nabi Saleh weekly demonstration. But a journey to Nabi Saleh is a whole exhausting mission and the demonstration is known to be very long. Every Friday, the village comes under siege. The Israeli army entirely closes down the village from morning to night. Demonstrators need to arrive the day before, or very early in the morning before 8am while others must find they way through the mountains, hoping that they would not encounter any Israeli soldiers among the trees.

Nabi Saleh is a very small village of only a few hundreds inhabitants. The demonstrations started in 2009, when settlers from the nearby illegal settlement of Halamish took control over the natural spring near the village and prevented Palestinians accessing their lands. Since then, the repression of the army has been horrendous, using various tactics including night raids, arrests (the main leader of the protest, Bassem Tamimi is now in Israel custody), showering the whole village with tear gas and spreading the “skunk” (a noxious chemicals-based liquid which carries an awful smell) directly on houses, systematic violence used against unarmed protestors, including women (see for example the shocking video made by Israeli human rights organization B'Tselem).

In order to be as early as possible in the village, I had to spend the night in Ramallah. From there, some cars were organized for protesters at 8am. In the service (collective taxi), I found myself mostly with young Palestinian women activists, some of them aged no more than 17 year old. It was great to talk to them, they were very open. Most of them have started to join the protests not so long ago and were coming even without their parents knowing. One of them writes a blog, both in English and Arabic. It was truly refreshing to meet them, not that in demonstrations you cannot find any women. But it is quite rare to see some young Palestinian women coming from outside the village join the local protest in solidarity. I asked them how they began being involved. One told me that she began watching the videos of Nabi Saleh and just one day, she decided that she should not be only watching but that she had to go while another one said she started to hear about it through facebook. Another one told me that she began to be involved through the youth movement which emerged at the beginning of this year. In Ramallah they sat up a tent of protest demanding, among other things, a government of reconciliation. She then met the activists from Nabi Saleh who came to support them in their struggle. In response, she and others went to Nabi Saleh, and “once you start coming, you cannot stop”, she told me. I certainly know what she was talking about.

When we reached Nabi Saleh, the main entrance was already closed by a gate, so we had to drive further, got off the service and climbed up the hill. We were lucky, the Israeli soldiers were not at sight so we just had to do a 15 minute-walk. For other activists who arrived a bit later, it would be a one hour and an half tedious walk under a burning sun through the mountains. When we reached the village, we met some Palestinian activists who arrived the day before and they showed us the “popular resistance flotilla” mock ship that was built for the demonstration. It looked great, it was a few meters long and carried the flags of several countries, all on wheels. There were still several hours before the demonstration so I joined along the group of Palestinian girls who went to have breakfast with one of the figures of the popular protest, Nariman Tamimi who works with B'Tselem and documents all the demonstrations. She is the wife of Bassem who had been arrested. We shared a wonderful breakfast. One of the Palestinian blogger made an interview with Nariman. But the relaxed atmosphere was a bit tarnished after a phone call to one of the Palestinian young activist announcing her that one of her friends, also a young Palestinian activist in her 20s was arrested at a checkpoint on her way to Nabi Saleh. Apparently the Israeli soldiers were especially looking for her as they had her family name. She was blindfolded and handcuffed..The others in the taxi were put aside for further investigation. One of the Palestinian young activist seemed especially upset. She told me: 'we are friends but I never met her, we were supposed to meet today for the first time”.

Around 11am, long before the protests, Israeli military trucks passed through the village as provocation. Finally after 1pm the demonstration started, with some Palestinians, Israelis and internationals. The Israeli soldiers were already in place at the end of the main street. The boat was pushed down but just a few meters were made before we were showered by scores of tear gas canisters, some of them shot at the level of the heads. Demonstrators ran for cover on the sides of the street. I walked down to join the photographers who were already in place next to the Israeli soldiers. The village was under siege. The Nabi Saleh flotilla boat was still pushed by a few brave demonstrators, including an old Palestinian woman who managed to push it until just a few meters in front of the soldiers. As she was interviewed, she was attacked by sound bombs and tear gas, and so were the journalists around her. The Israeli soldiers were just shooting at whoever dared to walk in the street, which is just to remind- THEIR STREET. Tear gas canisters were also shot directly at houses, clearly a form of collective punishment according to international law. Tear gas canisters and sound bombs were also thrown among the legs of the journalists.

I went back up to the side of the protesters who were mainly taking cover behind walls or inside houses. At one stage I wanted to go down again to the sides of the soldiers but I was directly aimed at and the tear gas canister passed not far from my head. So I retreat. Finally it was probably better as at this stage most photographers were already gone and one of the only ones who stayed next to the soldiers to monitor them- an Israeli activist working for B'Tselem- was subsequently detained for hours and prevented to film.

I was already exhausted after documenting hours of confrontations but this was far from over.

To make it short for the rest of the day, the demonstrators tried to walk down from another direction, but were again heavily attacked by tear gas canisters. The Israeli soldiers invaded twice the center of village, looking for activists. We hided in an house and the soldiers this time did not bother to go inside. Some of them took position of one the roof. Demonstrations- however dramatic they can be- are not devoid of sometimes funny moments. When the soldiers were walking back to their original position, they received from the top floor of an house an unexploded tear gas canister, which triggered cheering, laughing and applause. Seeing the Israeli soldiers running away from tear gas was quite a delightful scene for the people who receive on their heads dozens of tear gas canisters weeks after weeks. Finally after hours of siege, the Israeli soldiers seemed ready to go. Feeling no shame whatsoever, they still took the time to have a picnic at the entrance of the village. As the jeeps were driving away, Palestinian youth coming from nowhere chased the jeeps and threw stones at them, a way to tell the soldiers that, as occupiers and oppressors, they are not welcomed in their jeep stopped and some more tear gas canisters were again shot at heads level before leaving for good (at least for this day).

It was now time for sunset and rest. I still had a journey of at least three hours back to Bethlehem. As the service drove away, we saw that there were still some clashes at the very end of the village and we went through a cloud of tear gas. We hold our breathe and made it through.

The next day, I could barely walk, and spent most of the day resting. I was therefore so impressed when I heard that there was another surprised demonstration in Nabi Saleh. The demonstrators, together with some Palestinians coming from different villages, including from Bil'in, Israelis and internationals, managed to go down very near to the spring which was taken by the settlers. Respect for those who never give up.

I am glad I went back to Nabi Saleh and met all these amazing activists, and this new generation of young women activists. I bet more of them will join and will be a leading force and voice of the popular struggle.

I want to finish with the strong words of Bassem Tamimi who addressed Israel’s Ofer military court during his trial for organizing protests in the West Bank village of Nabi Saleh:

The civil nature of our actions is the light that will overcome the darkness of the Occupation, bringing a dawn of freedom that will warm the cold wrists in chains, sweep despair from the soul and end decades of oppression.”


Les femmes palestiniennes en force dans les manifestations de Nabi Saleh.

Pendant des semaines, sinon des mois, je voulais revenir à la manifestation hebdomadaire de Nabi Saleh. Mais un voyage à Nabi Saleh s'avère être une mission très ardue et la manifestation est connue pour être très longue. Le village subit en fait chaque vendredi un véritable siège. L'armée israélienne ferme toute les entrées et sorties du village du matin au soir. Les manifestants ont besoin d'arriver soit la veille, soit très tôt le matin avant 8 heures ou encore ils doivent trouver leur chemin à travers les montagnes, en espérant qu'ils ne trouveront pas des soldats qui guettent souvent les activistes au milieu des oliviers.

Nabi Saleh est un très petit village de seulement quelques centaines d'habitants. Les manifestations ont commencé en 2009, lorsque les colons de la colonie voisine illégale de Halamish ont pris le contrôle de la source d'eau naturelle près du village et en ont empêché l'accès aux Palestiniens ainsi que sur leurs terres autour de la source. Depuis le début des manifestations, la répression de l'armée a été terrible, en utilisant diverses tactiques, y compris des raids nocturnes, des arrestations (le principal leader des manifestations, Bassem Tamimi est actuellement en détention), des punitions collectives comme l'emploi massif de gaz lacrymogènes directement sur le village ou encore de répandre ce qui est appelé par les activistes le "skunk" (un liquide qui laisse une odeur infâme) directement sur le village, la violence systématique utilisée contre des manifestants non armés, y compris les femmes (voir par exemple la vidéo choquante realisee par l'organisation israelienne des droits humains B'Tselem).

Afin d'être aussi tôt que possible dans le village, j'ai dû passer la nuit à Ramallah. De là, certaines voitures étaient organisées pour les manifestants à 8h du matin. Dans le service (taxi collectif), je me suis retrouvée surtout avec des jeunes femmes palestiniennes, certaines âgées de 17 ans. C'était très rafraichissant de rencontrer cette nouvelle génération d'activistes femmes et elles étaient très ouvertes à la discussion. Pour beaucoup d'entre elles, elles ne participent aux manifestions que depuis peu et viennent sans l'accord de leurs parents, même si ceux-ci ont bien de leur temps certainement participé à la première Intifada. L'une des jeunes activistes que j'ai rencontrée tient un blog, en anglais et en arabe. C'était vraiment stimulant de les rencontrer, non parce que les femmes seraient traditionnellement absentes des manifestations mais parce qu'il est assez rare de voir certaines jeunes femmes palestiniennes venir de l'extérieur du village en solidarité. Je leur ai demandé comment elles avaient commencé à être impliquées. Une m'a répondu qu'elle avait commencé à regarder les vidéos des manifestations de Nabi Saleh et qu' un jour, elle avait juste décidé qu'elle devait y aller au lieu d'être juste spectatrice. Une autre m'a dit qu'elle avait commencé à en entendre parler de Facebook. Une autre m'a dit qu'elle avait commencé à être impliquée dans le mouvement des jeunes qui a émergé au début de cette année. A Ramallah ils ont organisé une tente de protestation réclamant, entre autres, un gouvernement de réconciliation nationale. Elle a alors rencontré les activistes de Nabi Saleh qui étaient venus les soutenir dans leur lutte. En réponse, elle et d'autres se sont rendus à Nabi Saleh, et "une fois que vous commencez à venir, vous ne pouvez pas vous arrêter", me dit-elle.

Quand nous sommes arrivés Nabi Saleh, la route principale était déjà bloquée, donc nous avons dû continuer encore notre chemin, descendre du service et grimper la colline. Nous avons été chanceux, les soldats israéliens n'étaient pas encore en place alors notre petite marche n'a été que de 15 minutes . Pour d'autres activités qui sont arrivés un peu plus tard, ils ont du marché à travers les montagnes une heure et demie sous un soleil brûlant. A notre arrivée, nous avons été accueillis par quelques militants palestiniens qui sont arrivés la veille. Ils nous montrèrent la "flottille de la résistance populaire", un ersatz de bateau qui a été construit pour la manifestation. Il était magnifique, avec quelques mètres de long et arborant des drapeaux de plusieurs pays, dont un drapeau géant de la Palestine en guise de voile, le tout sur roues. Maintenant, avec plusieurs heures à tuer avant la manifestation, j'ai continué à suivre le groupe des filles palestiniennes qui sont allées prendre le petit déjeuner chez l'une des figures de la protestation populaire, Nariman Tamimi qui travaille avec B'tslem et filme toutes les manifestations. Elle est l'épouse de Bassem. Nous avons partagé un merveilleux petit déjeuner. Une des jeunes palestiniennes bloggeuse a fait une interview avec Nariman. Mais l'ambiance détendue s'est ternie après un appel téléphonique à l'une des activistes palestiniennes annonçant que l'une de ses amies, aussi une jeune militante palestinienne d'une vingtaine d'années, avait été arrêtée à un checkpoint, sur le chemin vers Nabi Saleh. Apparemment, les soldats israéliens étaient spécifiquement à sa recherche car ils avaient son nom de famille. Les soldats lui ont bandés les yeux et menottée .. Les autres dans le taxi ont été mis de côté et détenus pendant la « vérification ». Une des jeunes militantes palestiniennes semblait être particulièrement contrariée. Elle m'a confié: «nous sommes amies, mais je ne l'ai jamais rencontrée, nous étions censées nous voir aujourd'hui pour la première fois".

Autour 11 heures, bien avant le début de la manifestation, des camions militaires israéliens ont traversé le village en guise de provocation. Après 13 heures, la manifestation a enfin commencé, avec des Palestiniens, Israéliens et internationaux. Les soldats israéliens étaient déjà en place à la fin de la rue principale. Le bateau a été poussé vers le bas mais après seulement quelques mètres la marche pacifique a été accueillie par des dizaines de bombes lacrymogènes, certaines d'entre eux tirées au niveau des têtes. Les manifestants ont couru sur les côtés de la rue pour essayer de se protéger. Je suis descendue rejoindre les photographes qui étaient déjà en place à côté des soldats israeliens . Le village était assiégé. La flottille de Nabi Saleh était toujours poussé par quelques manifestants courageux, dont une vieille femme palestinienne qui a réussi à le pousser jusqu'à quelques mètres en face des soldats. Alors qu'elle était interviewée, elle a été attaquée par des bombes assourdissantes et des gaz lacrymogènes, ainsi que les journalistes autour d'elle. Les soldats israéliens ont continué à tirer sur quiconque osait marcher dans la rue, qui est, rappelons le, LEUR rue. Des gaz lacrymogènes ont également été tiré directement sur les maisons, clairement une forme de punition collective interdite selon le droit international. Ils n'ont aussi pas hésité à envoyer une grenade lacrymogène et des bombes assourdissantes au milieu des jambes des journalistes. Je suis retournée du côté des manifestants qui étaient principalement à couvert derrière des pans de murs ou à l'intérieur des maisons. A un moment, j'ai voulu redescendre du coté des soldats mais je suis faite viser directement et la bombe lacrymogène n'est pas passée loin de ma tête. Alors j'ai battu en retraite. C'était surement mieux pour moi. A ce stade la plupart des photographes étaient déjà partis et seule une militante israélienne travaillant pour B'Tselem était restée à côté des soldats qui n'ont pas tardé à l'embarquer (elle a été détenue pendant plusieurs heures). Apres plusieurs heures à documenter la manifestation, j'étais déjà très fatiguée, mais la fin ne semblait pas proche.

Pour faire court pour le reste de la journée, les manifestants ont tenté de marcher dans une autre direction, mais ont de nouveau été fortement attaqués et repoussés par des gaz lacrymogènes. Les soldats israéliens ont envahi deux fois le centre du village, afin de chercher des militants. Nous avons du nous cacher dans des maisons et les soldats n'ont pas pris cette fois la peine d'aller de maison en maison nous chercher . Quelques soldats ont pris position sur un toit. Les manifestations-qui prennent souvent un tournant dramatique, ne sont pas dépourvues de moments parfois drôles.
Alors que les soldats retournaient vers leur position initiale, ils ont reçu depuis le dernier étage d'une maison une grenade de gaz lacrymogène qui a explosé autour d'eux, ce qui a déclenché les applaudissements, et rires des manifestants. Regarder les soldats israéliens fuir le gaz lacrymogène était un spectacle des plus délicieux pour les gens qui en reçoivent des dizaines sur leurs têtes semaine après semaine. Enfin après plusieurs heures de siège, les soldats israéliens semblaient enfin prêts à partir. Sans aucune honte, ils ont encore pris le temps d'avoir un pique-nique à l'entrée du village. Une fois que les jeeps commençaient à partir, des jeunes palestiniens venant de nulle part se sont mis à leur courir après et à leur jeter des pierres, une façon de dire aux soldats qu' en tant qu'occupants et oppresseurs, ils ne sont pas les bienvenus ... une jeep s'est arrêtée et des gaz lacrymogènes ont été de nouveau tirées au niveau des têtes alors que le coucher du soleil pointait à l'horizon. J'avais encore à faire un voyage d'au moins trois heures pour Bethléem. Alors que le service partait, nous avons vu qu'il y avait encore quelques affrontements à la fin du village et nous avons traversé un nuage de gaz lacrymogène. Nous avons tous retenu notre respiration et nous nous en sommes sortis.
Le lendemain, je pouvais à peine marcher, et j'ai passée la plupart de la journée à me reposer. J'ai donc été très impressionnée quand j'ai entendu qu'il y avait une autre manifestation surprise à Nabi Saleh. Les manifestants de Nabi Saleh, rejoints par d'autres palestiniens de quelques villages , y compris de Bil'in, ainsi que des Israéliens et internationaux, ont réussi à descendre très près de la source qui a été prise par les colons avant d'être à nouveau attaqués violemment par l'armée israélienne. Respect pour ceux qui n'abandonnent jamais. Je suis contente d'être retournée à Nabi Saleh et d'avoir rencontré tous ces militants incroyables, et cette nouvelle génération de jeunes femmes palestiniennes activistes. Je parie qu'elles seront de plus en plus nombreuses et qu'elles seront une force majeure et des voix qui comptent dans la lutte populaire.

Je veux finir avec les mots forts de Bassem Tamimi qui s'est adressé à la cour militaire israélienne d'Ofer lors de son procès. Bassem est accusé d'organiser des manifestations « illégales » dans le village de Nabi Saleh:

"La nature civile de nos actions est la lumière qui permettra de surmonter l'obscurité de l'occupation, en apportant une aube de la liberté qui va réchauffer les poignets refroidis par les chaînes, balayer le désespoir des âmes, et mettre fin à des décennies d'oppression."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:13 AM

    Amie Anne, gaffe à la typo dans le titre : "nebi saHeh"

    Fantastique, bon sang ! le courage et la détermination de ces hommes et femmes, et des journalistes qui nous permettent de l'apprendre est somptueux.